Interested in joining the team?Apply now
With over 10,000 learning videos, more than 44,000 practice problems, and almost 39,000 worksheets, sofatutor offers students of all grades the opportunity to learn digitally, flexibly, and from any location. With a team of over 200 employees, we pursue our vision of advancing the digitalization of learning and creating a product that turns learning into fun.
As Head of Technology (gn), you will have the opportunity to play a key role in shaping the further development of one of the most successful learning products in Germany. You will be responsible for sofatutor’s overall technology and platform strategy as well as our terrific tech team. Your focus will be on the development of your leadership team, the technical architecture as well as the process responsibility in close collaboration with our Agile Coaches and the Product Team.
Note: Our application process is currently fully remote. However, as a company we work in a hybrid mode overall. So for this position, you need to work in our beautiful Berlin office 1-2x per month. Please apply with a detailed application, including your salary expectation and your earliest possible start date.
You will work closely with the Managing Directors, the Management Team, your People Business Partner and the Head of Product. You will shape the technology strategy and develop our tech team. Your overall responsibility is the technical implementation of the product vision and the optimization of agile collaboration. The entire Product & Tech team consists of five cross-functional (Scrum) teams with developers, product managers, UX designers and researchers as well as Agile coaches. In concrete terms, this means:
- Technical as well as disciplinary leadership & personnel development of the approx. 25-strong team in web development with a focus on leading the Engineering Manager team as well as the Agile Coaches and Technical Architects.
- Responsibility for technology and platform strategy of the online learning platform, planning of quarterly goals together with the Head of Product and definition of long-term technological goals.
- Member of the management team incl. joint discussion of company strategy and business goals
- Leading the technical development of the web application and infrastructure
- Scaling and optimizing the agile collaboration of our interdisciplinary (Scrum) teams
You top your strong passion for product and technology development with several years of professional experience. In addition, you have already enthusiastically led larger technical teams in web development. Not only are you well-versed in agile work processes, but you’re also passionate about web technologies and frameworks.
In detail this means:
- Several years of professional experience in Product Development, Engineering or Technology.
- Experience in leading technical teams and leadership desirable in the area of web development
- Distinct analytical understanding
- Business fluent in English and ideally also in German
- Significant hands-on experience as a developer (gn) with relevant web technologies and frameworks in the backend and frontend, ideally Ruby on Rails or React
- Experience with cloud infrastructure and running web applications, ideally with AWS
- You have already worked in teams using agile methods such as Scrum or Kanban, or even led these teams
- Experience working across product and technology teams and/or structuring and scaling teams
- You ideally bring an understanding of online learning, the education sector, or the target audience of parents, students, teachers
We will support you with words and deeds and let you pick up the threads where we are at the moment. For us, this includes a transparent way of working, insight into the projects of the other teams and regular feedback. These are further benefits with us:
- Short and efficient decision-making paths that allow us to react to new challenges in an agile manner
- An enthusiastic, highly motivated and imaginative team consisting of long-time sofatutor veterans and fresh, dynamic employees, who all maintain a very open relationship with each other
- Extensive cultural and professional onboarding as well as an open feedback culture are a matter of course for us
- A flexible hybrid office model allows you to work flexibly anywhere in Germany (even for longer periods at a time) and to strike a good balance between work and family/leisure time.
- In addition to your laptop, we will equip your home office with the necessary hardware if required.
- Find your balance in various sports courses such as yoga, Beat81 or bouldering.
- Much of this is also possible digitally throughout Germany
- In order to be mobile, we support you with our mobile benefits for major German cities – Swapfiets.
- In Berlin you can additionally choose between Swapfiets or a subsidy for the BVG subscription.
- Language Learning Support (English/German language courses; Babbel)
- We also support your professional development through individual learning and development opportunities.
- Family & Friends discounts: 50% off your loved ones’ first sofatutor subscription
- Great regular team events with a great team
- Company pension plan
- Relocation support
For more than ten years, the online learning platform “sofatutor.com” is supporting students on all levels in learning independently and is also widely used in teaching. We believe that students can reach their full learning potential if they are given the freedom to go their own ways and set individual goals. With didactically tested learning content in 13 subjects, our product adapts to the individual learning progress of students and helps them to improve grades. More than 100 employees work on our learning videos, practice problems and worksheets to show students that learning is fun. Bring in your talents and make our mission your own!
Willst du mehr über unsere Design-Sprache erfahren?
Schau dir den Ort an, an dem wir mit Spaß lernen:sofatutor Playground